On July 10, 2021, Jay Vance Jorgensen passed away peacefully in his sleep after his 5 year fight with esophageal cancer. Left behind are his wife Debbie, daughter Jennifer, son Ben, son-in-law Dave, daughter-in-Law Erin and brand new grandson Owen. Also left are his mother Virginia, brother Don, sister Julie and their families.
Born August 9, 1957 Jay was a gentle soul with a quick wit. He developed a passion for pottery as a teenager and his work throughout the years impacted the lives of many. He met his loving wife while playing underwater hockey and they were rarely apart. Jay was always willing to lend a hand and could fix almost anything. At 19, he built his own house on the farm out of logs and lived there with his wife and children for over 20 years. Jay co-founded a successful business with his brother and father making animal diagnostics and raising llamas.
His adventurous spirit took him all over the world, even during the last years of his life. He loved being on the water and had a special place in his heart for Desolation Sound. Fishing, crabbing and shrimping were ways he celebrated life with his friends. Jay was the first to lighten the mood with a slightly inappropriate joke and wanted everyone to have a great time. A doting father, Jay was enormously proud of his two children and loved sharing his life with them. In his last years, his friends were a driving force that kept him going, helping him in every way possible to keep doing what he loved. They took him on life changing adventures, got him out on the water and provided beautiful distractions from his suffering while he fought. Jay was surrounded by his loving family in his final days, on his farm in Bellingham, WA.
A memorial will be held on Friday, July 23 at 2pm, at the Ferndale Events Center.
In lieu of flowers, please consider making a donation to the Jansen Art Center Ceramics Studio in Lynden, WA, Jay’s passion.
- Date & Time: July 23, 2021 (2:00 PM)
- Venue: Ferndale Events Center
- Location: 5715 Barrett Rd Ferndale, WA 98248
- Phone Number: (360) 734-7832
Jansen Art Center
- Address: 321 Front Street Lynden, WA
- Website: https://www.jansenartcenter.org/donations/
- Email Address: INFO@JANSENARTCENTER.ORG
- Phone Number: (360) 354-3600
- Description: Art is essential. Art welcomes community regardless of ethnicity, economic status, geographic location, gender or age. Art tells a story about our culture, history and values. Art connects people and celebrates humanity.