Moles Farewell Tributes: Four Generations of Service to Whatcom County, Washington
Reflection upon the history of Moles Farewell Tributes calls to mind not only the history of a family business, but the history of a community.
Our community. Our story.
“Monroe Mortuary and Furniture Store” was established in 1897 by the Monroe family, who the Moles family partnered with to begin in the funeral business.
Our Ferndale Event Center today remains the oldest “continuous operating” business in Ferndale.
In 1902, “W.H. Mock Mortuary” was established on Elk (State) Street in Bellingham, soon to be joined by partner A.C. Harlow in 1913. A new Harlow Mortuary Home was built in 1922, future location of Jones-Moles Funeral Home at the corner of Forest and Holly Streets in Bellingham. This building was sold to the YMCA in 1993 and serves as their Child Care Center today.
The following year, Jones-Moles Funeral Home opened a new facility adjacent to Bayview Cemetery, now our Bayview Event Center location.
Greenacres Memorial Park and Event Center
In 1929, Greenacres Memorial Park was opened as the first “Memorial Park” cemetery concept in Whatcom County.
Purchased in 1972 by Moles Family Funeral Homes, a new Whatcom County funeral home was then constructed at Greenacres Memorial Park in 1984, making it the first combination funeral home/cemetery north of Everett.