Corena L. (Rhode) Smith, 85, passed away on April 12, 2021 in Clinton, Missouri. She was born February 13, 1936 in Joplin, Missouri, daughter of Byrl Akers and Dora (Rhine) Akers.
She graduated from Bellingham High School and worked for the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce until retirement. She then returned to Missouri to be near her sister and brother.
She married Alvin E. “Al” Smith on February 11, 2006 in Clinton, Missouri.
A social butterfly, Corena was always getting together with friends and looked forward to her Bellingham High School class reunions. She enjoyed time spent dancing, traveling, coin collecting, fishing, bird watching, whale watching in the San Juan Islands, and going to the “Red Bus” in Fairhaven for Fish & Chips. Corena also loved her “spa time” where she would get manicures and pedicures. More than anything, she cherished moments spent with family. Corena always had open arms, an open home, and gave the best life advice one could give that is still being passed down today. Her family will miss all their adventures at her Bellingham home on Noon Road and the trips to Missouri.
She is survived by her husband, Al Smith; son James (Karen) Fitzgerald; daughter, Diana (Dana) Cartwright; two step-daughters, Julie McDaniel and Diane Smith; nieces, Elura “Janie” (Dan) VanderBrink, Judy Azzam, Karla Mack, Shelly Milligan, Christy Cline, and Beverly Stumler; nephews, Garry (Lori) Mack and Troy (Sue) Akers; four grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and numerous other extended family members. She was preceded in death by her parents; one daughter, Sheryl Fitzgerald; three brothers, Lonnie, Duane and Garry; two sisters, Reva and LaVerna; and niece Janice Howell.
Memorials may be made in Corena’s name to Mended Hearts (2901 Squalicum Parkway Bellingham, WA 98225) or to the Bellingham Arthritis Foundation (P.O. Box 96280 Washington, DC 20077).
Corena will be laid to rest at Greenacres Memorial Park in Ferndale, WA.
Please share memories at www.molesfarewelltributes.com.
No Events & Services
- Address: 2901 Squalicum Parkway, Bellingham, WA 98225
- Website: https://www.mendedhearts-bellingham.org/about-us
- Phone Number: 3607886928
- Description: We are heart patient and caregiver volunteers who provide support and hope to heart patients and their families, from the diagnosis of heart disease through treatment and beyond.
Bellingham Arthritis Foundation
- Address: PO Box 96280, Washington, DC 20077
- Website: https://www.arthritis.org/donate
- Phone Number: 3607886928
- Description: Every gift to the Arthritis Foundation will help people with arthritis across the country live their best lives. Whether it supports cutting-edge research, access to community and one-on-one support, resources and tools for daily living and more, your gift changes lives.